Thursday, November 1, 2007

Writing to help others

This morning I woke up and wrote the first 1986 words of my new novel, When the Warrior Comes Home.

It felt really easy and fun. Novel writing is so much more creative and active than screenwriting, which can be very meticulously technical and slow going.
The writing on my novel today was so fast and absorbingly fun that the only thing that stopped me from continuing were outside intrusions.

I must create an environment for myself when I write in which I am not disturbed. More boundaries are healthy and helpful in this sense. When I get chats, email notifications, phone calls, and knocks at the door of my consciousness, I get pulled off course, and it's my fault. It's easy to turn the phone off, close the email application and log out of chat!!!

How wonderful that we are free to create the reality we want in this simple way!
Ah, the bourgeois life...

How aware I am of people who are not free to create their realities, as they are victims of torture, abuse, oppression, poverty, famine, disease, and nastiness.

I hope that my writing in some way, at some level, helps to ease the suffering of others,
as others' writings have helped me through my hard times and eased mine.

It's true that things that I have read, truths and messages that others have poured out into the world through their own blood and experiences, from their cup of life, have aided, guided, inspired, and given me hope.

Now, I will thank some of the writers and people whose words have helped me through my dark times, which is what my novel is about. It's about going to hell and back.

Thanks to:
Friedrich Nietzsche, Oprah Winfrey, Guatama Buddha, Jesus Christ and all his chroniclers, Socrates and Plato, Rumi, Ranier Maria Rilke, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Alice Walker, Woody Allen, Ghandi, Caroline Myss, Carolyn Casey, Ram Das, Alan Watts, Jaqueline Lowe, The Bhagavad Gita, T.S. Eliot, Dr. Eric Gruever, Barbara Hitchen, Josefa Heifitz, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Gene Roddenbery and the creators and writers of Star Trek: The Next Generation, The Bard, Hunter S. Thompson and many more.

There are others. There are many others. But these are the writers and people whose words affected and helped me at a specific time, up to a specific point, in my life. Others came later. And their help will be chronicled and honored in future ways.

I think I will take some time, later, to post about what and how and why all of these writers have helped me.

What writers have inspired and helped you?

No comments: